Before Your Session
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE PRE-SESSION CONSULTATION?
This is our planning meeting and a time for us to get to know each other better. I typically like to do these in-person so I can meet you face-to-face and show you my products. However, we can conduct the consultation over the phone or Skype. I will gather contact information, names, and ages of children being photographed. We will discuss location, type of products you might be interested in, and how we can best tailor the session to your needs. I’ll make sure to review my process so you fully understand what to expect. If you are ready, you can schedule your session during our consultation.
HOW DO I SCHEDULE A SESSION?
After we’ve had our pre-session consultation we will schedule your session. I try to book 2 weeks in advance unless we agree upon an earlier date.
To secure your date I will collect a non-refundable deposit and send you a photography agreement to sign. I provide a very customized photography service so it’s important that all expectations and obligations are made in writing.
WHERE WILL THE SESSION TAKE PLACE?
All sessions are on-location, which means will I come to you for your pictures. You may choose to use your home, or the home of a friend or family member. Or you may want to have the session take place at a local park or landmark. I work with natural and/or studio lighting. We will discuss the location during the pre-session consultation. I am currently serving Blair, Bedford, and Centre Counties.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
Choose something you love and look great in. I suggest picking out a color palate, and coordinating from there. Stick with neutral color, with subtle pops of color and layers. I don’t recommend graphic shirts or logos, and nothing with a super fine design such as pin stripes or large prints/patterns because it just doesn’t show up well on camera.
WHEN SHOULD I BOOK A SESSION?
We will try to book your session during evening or early morning because they are the most ideal times for outdoor portraits. Colors and light are most flattering when the sun is indirect, while high midday sunlight can cause limitations with locations. I typically schedule sessions during the “golden hour,” the hour or two before sunset, to take advantage of the best light. I like to do portrait sessions on the weekend so that I can reserve reveal and ordering sessions during the week.
WHAT TYPE OF PAYMENTS DO YOU ACCEPT?
I accept cash, check, and all major credit cards. I collect sales tax on both products (physical and digital) and services. Sales tax is additional to any listed prices for sessions and products.
WHAT CAN I DO TO PREPARE MY CHILD(REN) FOR THE SESSION?
– Feed your child(ren) before the session. Also, pack snacks just in case hunger strikes again during the session.
– Bring more than one outfit. Make sure you always have backup clothes just in case.
– Let your child help when picking out their clothes. If they have a say in what they are wearing they might be more comfortable.
– If you have a young child, try to schedule around nap time so they will be well rested and happy for photos.
– Bring along their favorite toy or blanket. This will help your child be comfortable in a new, unfamiliar surrounding. Just be aware that this will probably become a prop in some of the photos, so bring something that is pleasing to the eyes or has sentimental value and you’d be okay with photos of it.
– Talk to your child(ren) about the session and explain what’s going to happen. Tell them that they are going to meet a new friend who is going to take some pictures. Let them know that you’ll be there with them and that we are going to have lots of fun.